Saturday, August 11, 2007

Old Age is for the Birds...

Old age...It seems like I'm just starting to think about how old people are. I work with five year olds all day five days a week and they are so fun. I kind of want to just grow down and be five, they are completely amused by things as simple as a parachute or duck duck goose for so long! I've also noticed how old people act too. My parents are both in their late fifties and recently have fallen in love with bird feeders. They love to just sit outside for hours and watch the birds eat. Not that theres anything particularly old about that but this morning my mom was amazed at how close she got to a bird on the feeder and actually began talking to it...I was completely shocked at how old she sounded when she excitedly recounted her tale in our kitchen as if she had been talking to a pterodactyle. Along with this bird watching habit that both my mother and father have aquired, they now love ugly lawn ornaments. Case in point the two "Geeky Beeks" sitting in my foyer waiting for the landscaping to be done. These hideous abominations are metal birds with springs for necks. Not too ugly if you live in a trailor park or an elderly community in Florida but in a suburban town full of normal upper-middle class people they are simply an eye sore.

Now I'm not trying to pick on my parents. I mean my Mom has her moments where she does do somthing resonably acceptable. But I find it hard to not think about how old they are when they both take naps regularly and like to go yard sale shopping whenever its nice out instead of the usual weekend trip to our private beach like in past years. But in reality my parents are not the only ones whom i find are getting older and older with thier true age showing. My aunt and uncle sent me a birthday card yesterday and it just screams old person on it. Not necisserily from an old person but for an old person. It says "Happy birthday to someone who looks younger and younger every year..." and the inside says "from someone who lies more and more each year!!! Ha Ha Ha Ha HA...Okay relax I was just kidding..." Now I dont know why I noticed it but it just screams old. I dont care about looking younger...Actually I want to look older. I'm 19 and I'm trying to shed my little boy look. Its just wierd...
Kiss Kiss
Ty

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Ty,
Just came across you nicely written blog. I'm just a bit older than you, and I sometimes notice the same things. I had a friend of the family come over yesterday. Was waiting for this middle ages man to show up. Instead, who the hell is this old man with the white hair at the door. Well, to my response to your blog, is simply, that age is a state of mind. I've met many 30 year olds that act and think like 70 years olds, and I've known a number of 50, 60, & 70 year olds that you would think were in their prime youthful 30's aside for the elasticity in their skin.

The other reason I write is about the GeekyBeeks in your post. If you are interested in accepting your parents fate, but are interested in helping them save some face with the youthful part of society, let me recommend to you the newer GeekyBeek Pucker-Up models found at www.GardenFun.com. The ones you have in the picture are about 4 models old, and the new ones are dramatically improved. I think you might even like them! Check them out, especially the new Pucker-Ups for Valentines. I guarantee you will love them, and so will your parents!